Thursday, March 26, 2009

What His Teacher Must Have Thought

Ethan brought home his report card on Monday, marking the end of the third quarter. He's been doing fairly well all year long, but the for the first time the X indicating improvement needed was present in one of the tiny squares. The corresponding line item was "Writes first and last name". I pretty much blame myself for this short coming. Every quarter we receive a list of benchmarks that must be achieved by the end of the quarter. It's not to say I totally discarded them; we did read over them. But, Ethan has had no problem attaining the benchmarks based on school learning and home learning hasn't been necessary. This time when it was time to do the end of the third quarter testing he was thrown off when he wasn't allowed to look at his name tag for the spelling of his last name. That night while I was getting Ethan out of the shower and drying him off we worked on learning to spell his last name. By the time he was dry, he could spell Alexander. The following day at school this was the paper he brought home:






The phonetic spelling can be a little difficult, so I'll decipher:

I learned how

to write my

name! It was

fun. This is

how I spell my

name Alexander.



The gem though, was the illustration that he included:


No comments:

Post a Comment